So you’re trying to decide what kitchen backsplash tile is right for your home… Last week we talked about the first three steps in narrowing down your backsplash tile:
1. Knowing your tile options…
2. Considering your tile needs…
3. Deciding on the overall look and feel you want for your kitchen backsplash…
This week we’re going to get further into the details, talk about patterns, and understand how to avoid mistakes. Our final two suggestions for deciding on your kitchen backsplash tile are:
4. Consider Solid Repetition vs a Pattern
Do you want a fresh, monochromatic repetition of all the same tile, or would you prefer a pattern or accent border? If you opt for a design, look for tiles that come with accent pieces and colors. Sketch out the layout you want clearly, or borrow the expertise of your designer or remodeler to help you create a design that is impacting, balanced, and also practical in how it will be installed. Some manufacturers, like Crossville, offer tools like their Backsplash Builder to help you layout your design.
5. Be Savvy with the Details
Whether you plan to order your own tile from a supplier or are connecting with your remodeler on the project, be aware of these potential issues:
- Confirm that the tile you want to use is thick or thin enough to install on the wall you have to work with.
- Don’t forget trim pieces – you may need a corner trim or edging.
- Make sure your pieces coordinate in glaze and finish. Try to purchase your tile all from one batch to avoid batch discrepancies.
- Be prepared to wait if your tile is not in stock. Set aside time to make your decisions and order far enough in advance that it won’t set your remodeling project behind.
Creating a beautiful kitchen backsplash, whether it be with neutral tones of natural stone or a colorful pattern of painted tile, is an exciting part of your kitchen remodel and ultimately reflects your own style and the style and needs of your home. Choose what you love, plan ahead, and double check the details. In the end you’ll have a successfully installed kitchen focal point that you will enjoy for years to come!
Sass Construction loves helping homeowners fall in love with their home all over again. Whether you want to add a stunning kitchen backsplash or do a complete kitchen remodel, contact us today to get the answers you need to get started.